Vinyl flooring is one of the most popular choices for Australian homeowners, and for good reason, as this state-of-the-art composite flooring ticks all the boxes. Hardwearing and very durable, vinyl flooring comes in many stunning finishes that include timber, stone and slate, and as the material is waterproof, it is ideal for high traffic and wet areas like the kitchen and bathroom. If you would like to maintain that just-new shine, here are some tips on how to keep your vinyl flooring looking its very best.
- Sweep On A Daily Basis – Sweeping the floor on a daily basis will minimise the amount of dirt and grime that accumulates and in a busy kitchen it is a good idea to keep a small brush by the kitchen entrance, which can be used throughout the day.
- Use a Doormat – Having a doormat at the entrance will reduce the amount of dirt and grime that comes into contact with your vinyl floor. If you have one specific area that tends to be well used, why not place a rug there? This will certainly prolong the life of the vinyl and the right colour rug will add some contrast and depth to the room. If you are looking for durable vinyl flooring in Melbourne or in your local area, an online search will help you to locate an established supplier who can quote for the project.
- Add Washing Up Detergent – Using the above solution, adding a few squirts of mild dishwashing liquid will help to remove stubborn dirt. Using a mop with nylon bristles will allow you to clean the floor more effectively, which is recommended if the floor needs a deeper clean.
- Baking Soda Removes Stains – If you mix baking soda with water until it becomes a paste, then rub it gently over the affected area, this should remove the stain. This is an effective way to remove wine or fruit juice stains, while rubbing alcohol is recommended for ink and grease stains.
- Mopping With A Vinegar Solution – This is the best way to maintain that just-installed shine, by simply mixing a cup of apple cider vinegar with a gallon of hot water and you are good to go. Once the floor is dry, the acidic aroma of vinegar will disappear, and by adding a tiny amount of jojoba oil to the mix, this will bring the vinyl up to a nice shine.
- Using The Right Commercial Cleaner – If your vinyl flooring is relatively new, you should not use a wax product for cleaning. Waxed vinyl flooring is rare to find today, as most modern vinyl has an unwaxed finish, and it is best to check with the floor supplier before using the floor cleaner.
Vinyl offers the homeowner the perfect flooring solution, as it is very durable and comes in stunning timber and stone designs, while the special cork backing gives the flooring a softness underfoot that cannot be found with timber or stone. Once your flooring is installed, the above tips will help to maintain that stunning shine, and with many years of trouble-free use, your vinyl flooring will certainly stand the test of time.